This summer (actually let’s take it back to the beginning of quarantine,) has been the time of the margarita. I remember growing up, my mom always ordered margaritas. When I was finally able to try one, I hated the taste, so never thought to try one again. A few years ago I thought I’d try one again, after my sister insisted on making me a fresh one. And I haven’t looked back since.
I’ve been perfecting my margarita making over the past few years and have come pretty close to what I think is a pretty good traditional margarita. Now, I’m finding ways to mix it up when I want something more than just lime.
With it being summer and those long hot days, I am always in the mood for a cool drink to wind down my day. When WholeFruit reached out and asked for me to come up with a recipe using their WholeFruit Fruit Bars, I had the perfect one in mind; Watermelon Margarita Poptail. I’ve been making a watermelon margarita since summer began, but it was always a process because I had to dice up the watermelon, blend it into a puree and then freeze it (because that always gives you the best results.) Rather than taking all of that time, I knew the WholeFruit Watermelon Fruit Bars would be the perfect substitute. And they were. Chunks of real fruit, delicious watermelon flavor, and all without the hassle. The best part is you can use these for your margarita while the kids sit outside and enjoy a Fruit Bar for themselves!
- 1 oz tequila blanco (I’m a Casamigos girl)
- 1 oz Cointreau (the only triple sec I’ll use)
- Juice from 1 lime (always go with a fresh lime rather than lime juice from the bottle. It makes a difference, I promise.)
- 1 WholeFruit Watermelon Fruit Bar (tastes like you’re adding the real thing, but in the coolest way)
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Pour tequila, Cointreau, and fresh-squeezed lime juice in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
- If using salt, line rim of glass with wedge of lime and dip glass into salt.
- Pour cocktail over ice in glass.
- Add WholeFruit Watermelon Fruit Bar.
- Garnish with fresh lime slice.